What is the WILL TO LIVE?
The WILL TO LIVE is a legal document that you can sign which:
- Is a legally binding pro-life alternative to the traditional Living Wills
- Names someone to make health care decisions for you (your “heath care agent’) if you develop a condition that makes it impossible for you to speak for yourself (become “incompetent”), and
- Makes clear (in the form of written instructions to your health care agent) what medical treatment you would want if you can no longer speak for yourself
How Does the WILL TO LIVE protect your life and the lives of your family members?
When you are unable to speak for yourself the WILL TO LIVE:
- Names someone you trust to safeguard your life when you cannot speak for yourself as your “health care agent”
- Names backup agents if your first choice can’t serve
- Describes the treatment you do and do not want to guide your health care agent and physicians
- Protects your family and health care agent from pressure from health care providers and others by allowing them to prove what you really did want
- Relieves the agony of decision making for them by making your wishes clear
More information from NRLC on the Will to Live can be found here.
The Virginia Will to Live can be found here.