UPDATE: Due to the Covid-19 state-wide lock-down the annual Alex and Geline B. Williams Pro-Life Oratory Contest is now virtual. All contestants will submit videos of their speeches. The deadline for submission has been extended to May 27, 2020. All local contests have been cancelled.
The annual Alex and Geline B. Williams Oratory Contest, sponsored by the Virginia Society for Human Life Educational Fund, encourages high school juniors and seniors to prepare and present a short speech on one of these topics: abortion, infanticide or euthanasia. This year the speeches will be submitted via video to the contest director.
First, second, and third place winners will receive:
1st Place: $500
2nd Place: $250
3rd Place: $100
The first-place winner will be eligible to participate in the National Jane B. Thompson Oratory Contest which is normally held in conjunction with the National Right to Life Convention. Once this year’s national contest has been finalized the winner will be notified.
- High School Juniors and Seniors are eligible to participate
- Speeches must be recorded on video and submitted with completed entry from, signed photo/video release and written copy of the speech.
- Speeches will be 5 to 7 minutes long.
- Contestants will be judged on introduction, content, presentation, and conclusion.
- Speeches must be original material by the participants other than short quotes appropriately cited
See link below to download full rules.
To Enter the Contest
Download and complete both the entry form and photo release form, include a typed copy of your speech and send all of the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then send the video of your speech using a free online service like WeTransfer (WeTransfer.com)
Please email the contest director at email@example.com if you have any more questions?
- VSHL 2020 Oratory Contest Rules Revised
- VSHL 2020 Entry Form–Revised Fillable PDF
- VSHL 2020 Oratory Contest Photography Release